Do you want to be one of the recipients of the Col-Skills for work scholarships?
How to apply?
BACKGROUND & CONTEXT
An estimated 174 million people worldwide were unemployed at the beginning of 2020. At the beginning of this decade, global youth unemployment was at an alarming 15%, and the lower level of labour force participation of women suggested that three out of five people in the global labour force were men.
There is clear recognition that skills, as a passport, can boost the upward mobility of informal workforce, contributing to the employment of more women in the formal labour force. People need skills that would offer them decent work, entrepreneurship, stable income and remuneration, and social protection.
Bangladesh faces shortage of skills manpower
Around 36 % of employers in Bangladesh are facing the shortage of skilled manpower which is a leading reason for entry-level vacancies. Bangladesh ranks 47th, down from 45th previously, among 50 emerging nations in the world in the Worldwide Educating for the Future Index 2019. Bangladesh is only ahead of three African countries – Kenya, Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of Congo – in providing its youth with skill-based education. The Skills Online Bangladesh project will collaborate with CSOs, universities, training service providers, employers and government agencies in closing skill gaps for in-demand jobs responding to employer and industry needs through directly supporting Bangladeshi youth and adult to participate and complete skill and professional development courses offered by online learning platforms.
Furthermore, the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting lockdown measures have impacted thousands of learners around Bangladesh, leaving them with little or no option to continue their education. Thousands have lost their jobs and livelihoods and need reskilling to regain employment.
AN IMMEDIATE SOLUTION
Recognizing shortage of skilled workforce and the catastrophic effects of the pandemic on thousands of Bangladeshi people who have become unemployed, or are on the verge of losing their jobs, Commonwealth of Learning ( COL), has launched Skills for Work programs as an immediate solution to these challenges.
COMMONWEALTH OF LEARNING-SKILLS FOR WORK IN BANGLADESH- MINISTRY OF COMMERCE – BETTER FUTURE FOR WOMEN PARTNERSHIP
As an intergovernmental organization committed to improving the livelihood conditions of people across the Commonwealth, COL has entered into this partnership with Ministry of Commence ( MoC) and Better future for Women in Bangladesh to make a difference to the lives of adult and young who need to acquire skills for gaining employment. The program will continue till March 2023.
Focal person at MoC :
Mr. Md. Selim Hossen
Deputy Secretary, Ministry of Commerce
Focal Person at BFW:
Ms. Sumaiya Shimu
Chairman and Founder
Better Future for Women
WHAT COURSES /SPECIALIZATIONS ARE OFFERED UNDER THE SCHOLARSHIP?
Under the COL-Grow with Google Skills for Work Scholarship, scholarship recipients will be able to gain Google certification in five specialization areas- IT Support, IT automation with Python, UX Design, IT Project Management and Data Analytics.
The COL-Udemy Scholarship will offer skill development courses in IT operations, project management, application development, leadership and management, marketing while the COL-Coursera scholarship will provide access to courses in Digital transformation, information technology, entrepreneurship, emerging technology and cloud computing.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA/TARGET LEARNERS
- Those who are interested to gain new skills to enter the job market
- Students who are currently pursuing the final year of their undergraduate/diploma/postgraduate degree
- Those who are unemployed and wish to gain skills to start mini and micro-enterprises
- Between 18 to 45 years of age
- Male, Women and third gender
- Women are especially encouraged to apply for the scholarship. ( Ministry of Commerce and Better Future for Women wish to allocate 50% of the scholarship to women .)
- Persons with disability with basic ICT skills . Persons with disability will be prioritized while selecting candidates for the scholarship program. ( Ministry of Commerce and Better Future for Women wish to allocate 5% of the scholarship to persons with disability.)
1) Once you submit your application using the online application a selection committee comprising of officials of the Ministry of Commerce and Better Future for Women will short list the eligible candidates who will be required to participate in an online screening process. Shortlisted candidates will be provided with the details for online screening through email.
2) The learner has to respond to our email invitation to sign up for the Coursera portal within 2 days of receiving;
3) Selected learner will be required to complete at least 6 courses within 6 months.
4) The learner has to enroll in a course or two within a week of accepting the invitation;
5) The learner has to show enough progress with learning, say at least three hours of learning within the first two weeks of joining; and,
6) The learner has to complete at least one course within 4 weeks of availing of the scholarship
7) Under COL- Grow with Google Scholarship , learners have to commit at least 10 hours per week.
8)The scholarship will be withdrawn if the learner is not able to demonstrate enough commitment and willingness to take advantage of the scholarship and will not be considered for COL scholarship in future.
9) A helpdesk facility is available to help facilitate learning.
HELPDESK AND SOCIAL MEDIA SUPPORT
Experts located in Bangladesh will offer help with choosing courses, and provide administrative, academic support, as well as mentorship and counseling.WhatsApp: +8801883951291
Facebook page: Commonwealth of Learning Skills for Work – Bangladesh https://www.facebook.com/Commonwealth-of-Learning-Skills-for-Work-Bangladesh-109262764554291
TIMELINE OF SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2021
Period: 1 April 2021 – 30 September 2021 (6 months)
Deadline for submission of application: 15 March 2021
2nd Batch s
1 October 2021 – 31 March 2022 (6 months)
Deadline for submission of application: 15 September 2021